At Ranworth Square Primary we believe that every child should aim to attend school EVERY DAY. The National Target of 97% is a guide that we use as the minimum benchmark for attendance.
96% = 8 days off in a school year
90% = 17 days off in a school year
85% = 29 days off in a school year
Half a day per week is equal to 4 weeks off in a school year
1 day per week equals 8 weeks off in a school year.
GOOD ATTENDANCE IS VERY IMPORTANT
MISSING SCHOOL IS MISSING OUT
"ATTEND AND ACHIEVE"
I thank you for your continued support.
Mrs S Padgett
- First day response- Miss Jess contacts parents when a child is absent from school.
- The school sends out traffic lights slips to each child;
Red Slip- 93% and under
Yellow slip- 94% to 96%
Green slip- 97% and above
These slips inform parents of their child’s attendance every term.
- Our attendance team has regular meetings with the EWO- Katie Williams, looking at how we can improve the attendance and what actions can be taken to ensure this.
- Miss Jess and Miss Becky arrange to collect children from their home if parents are in a dilemma.
Future possibilities- The school are looking into purchasing a mini bus to support some parents who struggle to get their children to school.
Child friendly policy- display and ideas
There is an interactive display that is presented at the centre of the school called the ‘Attendance Garden’. Each class is given blank flower, which a petal will be coloured in if a class wins best attendance at the end of the week. When a class has a full flower coloured in, their flower will be in ‘full bloom’ allowing the children to be rewarded with a fun and games session with the school’s attendance administrator.
This display board explains the attendance policy to the children, allowing them to understand what good attendance is and what they can achieve.
100% Bloomers – We award the 100% attenders with rewards, also presenting their photograph on a different display board in the main entrance. We have called our 100% attenders ‘100% Bloomers’ because these children attend school every day, therefore their own personal flowers would be in full bloom. These children are presented with a badge and certificate in assembly.
Rewards the children can gain
- Each class has an opportunity to win a termly trip to McDonalds if they achieve the best attendance.
- Arriving to school on time the children can earn dojo points.
- If a child is a 100% Bloomer for the entire school year, they can be entered into a prize draw to win a laptop or iPad.
(Please see photographs below of display boards presented at school).